The Enterotube® II contains 12 different agars enabling the performance of a total of 15 biochemical tests as well as an enclosed inoculating wire.
Inoculate an Enterotube® II as follows:
1. Remove both caps of the Enterotube® II and with the straight end of the inoculating wire, pick off the equivalent of a colony from your unknown plate. A visible inoculum should be seen on the tip and side of the wire.
2. Inoculate the Enterotube® II by grasping the bent-end of the inoculating wire, twisting it, and withdrawing the wire through all 12 compartments using a turning motion.
3. Reinsert the wire into the tube (use a turning motion) through all 12 compartments until the notch on the wire is aligned with the opening of the tube. (The tip of the wire should be seen in the citrate compartment.) Break the wire at the notch by bending. Do not discard the wire yet.
4. Using the broken off part of the wire, punch holes through the cellophane which covers the air inlets located on the rounded side of the last 8 compartments. Your instructor will show you their correct location. Discard the broken off wire in the disinfectant container.
5. Replace both caps and incubate the Enterotube® II on its flat surface at 37C.